Foreign nationals who entered Vietnam with a visa exemption certificate, e-visa, or tourist visa on or after March 1, 2020, will be granted an automatic extension of stay through December 31, 2020, and may exit Vietnam during this period without having to apply for an extension of stay, the Vietnam Immigration Department, a functioning bureau belonging to the Vietnamese Ministry of Public Security announced on its website.
Here are the details.
- CONTINUE to implement “automatic stay extension” for foreign nationals until December 31st, 2020 (subjects and forms prescribed in paragraph 1 of the Diplomatic Note No 6345/QLXNC dated May, 19th, 2020 which was sent to Embassies/Consulates). During “automatic stay extension” period, foreigners are required to complete temporary residence and health status declaration.
- CONTINUE to implement the content of the Diplomatic Note No. 4226/XNC dated March 30th, 2020 until December 31st, 2020.
- Those foreign nationals who are not eligible for “automatic stay extension” or violate Vietnamese laws will be treated according to applicable laws of Vietnam.
- For further information (if any) or assistance, please do not hesitate to contact Vietnam Immigration Department, Tel: 0243.9387320 (in the North) and 0283.9200365 (in the South).
This is very important to understand that it means you don’t have to extend your visa to EXIT Vietnam by December 31, 2020. However, if you intend to stay in Vietnam after December 31, then you do need a visa extension.
If you entered BEFORE March 1, 2020, you will be eligible for the same policy if you show either of the following documents:
- A certification by your diplomatic mission in Vietnam through an official Diplomatic Note stating that you are stuck in Vietnam due to Covid 19 (attached with a translation in Vietnamese);
- Documents issued by the Vietnamese authorities certifying that you have undergone quarantine or treatment for COVID-19 or are stuck here due to reasons beyond your control.
You are required to show those documents when exiting Vietnam to ensure no charge for overstaying.
Again, this works only for those who will leave Vietnam by December 31.
In case you are eligible for an “automatic stay extension”, you are required to declare your temporary stay to local police and complete health declaration.
If you don’t meet the conditions or have committed illegal actions, you shall be subject to the current laws of Vietnam.
For example, those in Vietnam under a business visa are required to extend visa before its expiry date.