2 million students in Hanoi take Tet holiday early as local residents and parents had expressed their worries following the detection of nine Covid-19 community transmission cases in the capital city
Hanoi has more than 25,000 teachers and students who have stayed at home as they are related to Covid-19 cases or came back from Quang Ninh or Hai Duong provinces, the country’s two biggest Covid-19 hotspots
Visit Vietnam Insider’s homepage for more stories
Authorities in Hanoi announced on Sunday (Jan 31) that all schools in the city would close, after locking down several residential areas and a factory in the northern province of Hai Duong, the outbreak’s epicentre, since the first cases of community transmission in almost two months were detected there last week.
Vietnam reported on Sunday 50 new COVID-19 infections, most linked to a new outbreak that began on Thursday in the northern province of Hai Duong, the Ministry of Health said.
Hanoi has urgently locked down a factory and conducted antiseptic measures after some workers there were confirmed to have tested positive for the virus.
Across localities, contact tracing and quarantining activities are being promptly carried out, among other efforts.
Quang Ninh province, a current COVID-19 hotspot, is setting up a field hospital specializing in COVID-19 treatment with the capacity of 250 patients in response to the development of the outbreak.
Sunday morning also saw Vietnam’s first imported case of the South African novel coronavirus variant in a foreign expert who had been quarantined upon arrival in Hanoi in December 2020.
The outbreak has spread to at least nine cities and provinces, including Ho Chi Minh city and capital Hanoi, with 238 locally transmitted infections, the ministry said. That has raised the total number of COVID-19 cases in the country to 1,817, with 35 deaths.